Friday, February 29, 2008

Wendi to the rescue !!!

I've two cousins that are currently fighting cancer. the one, seems to be holding her own. the other, unfortunately, doesnt seem to be doing as well. I tried to go visit her in the hospital last weekend, but she was not having a good day, and requested no visitors. my plan is to visit her this weekend, and bring Emmett our current DogGuide-in-Training foster puppy. I'm hoping that a short visit, and the distraction may help brighten my cousin's day.

on Wednesday, it occurred to me, that I had nothing to bring my cousin. flowers die, and I dont know what, if anything, she is eating. I've always had a few finished projects put away for just this occasion, but right now the cupboard is bare ....... so, what do you bring to a person, struggling with an illness, who will be spending her remaining days in a hospital environment ..... hand knitted socks !!!! the only catch is, I didnt have any heavier weight, natural fiber yarn at home, and would have to start them that night, if there is any chance of getting them done by Saturday

Wendi to the rescue ..... I was on-line with Wendi, and she offered some of the yarn from her stash. the same type that she used to make socks for her FIL. so, off I went to Chez Wendi, to grab some wool so that I could get the socks started.

there are TONS of sock patterns available on Ravelry, many of which are very nice, but I wanted a simple pattern, that would knit up quickly ... and I found one, the Gentlemans Sock (dont worry the wool is pink/purple, so it will not be too manly). I'm following the pattern exactly ..... except I'm using DK instead of sock/fingering, therefore had to adjust from recommended 2.5mm to 4mm, therefore had to adjust the number of stitches around for the foot ..... oh yea, and the pattern is top down, but I'm doing them toe-up ..... but other than all that, I'm following the pattern exactly !!

so, to make a long story short (not !!) I've finished about 5" of foot, and I'm really pleased how they are turning out. I think I'm going to make this pattern again, using the suggested yarn-weight, and see how they look when done "properly".

I'm sure everyone has someone in their family that needs an extra prayer ..... please remember my family in your prayers. I'll be doing the same for you !

No comments: