Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Family Day .... and Anisette Wrap ~ take 2 ??

what a lovely long weekend !!! yesterday was Ontario's first "Family Day" ... now, I'm not going to argue about a day home with DD, but there was a bunch of contraversey about how this new holiday was going to work for many union employees. for the most part, I think everything was closed up. DD was a social butterfly, Wendi & her clan came for a visit which gave me a break from my house cleaning. we had a nice visit, and the dogs all had agreat romp together.

I came home Friday evening to DD and her g-friend over for the evening, so I picked up a pizza on the way home. it was a quiet evening of TV and knitting my CWS where I finished week-4, but continued on so that I could catch up to Wendi.


Saturday was dedicated mostly to running errands, but one of the fun bits was a trip to a new LYS ~ The Needle Emporium. (well maybe not new, but it was new to me) OH MY GOSH .... what a packed stash from heaven. I went to find some Handmaiden's Casbah Sock yard for a new friend in the UK, who cant get it over there. (DD was being very strick, reminding me of my HUGE stash at home, and that I really didnt NEED any more ... so I behaved myself) Charlie had posted in Ravelry asking if someone could pick her up some, and I was happy to do it for her. I bought Charlie 2 skeins, one that she wanted and one that's a surprise (I hope she likes it). after spending some time in "heaven", we headed over to see Wendi @ her PakMail store, to package-up Charlie's yarn and get it ready for posting pick-up today.

Sunday was a slower day. puttered around the house, then headed to the mall for a while, for some window shopping and to give our latest Dogguide Foster Puppy, Emmett, some work on open stairs & escallators. planned on a quiet evening infront of the TV, when we got an invite to watch Wendi's DS play hockey .... an offer we couldnt refused, so after dinner up we went to Milton. it was an excellent game, but came to a sad conclusion about my current project the "Anisette Wrap". it was a hard lesson to learn ... dont just look at yarn weight, consider yardage. the Annisette pattern requires 1 or 2 25g balls (depending on if you're makinng the scarf or wrap). no problem, I have 2 50g of the Opal Mist mohair, so there should be plenty ..... NOT !!! unfortunately, what I missed was the pattern used a lace-weight, while I was using a fingering weight, so although my skeins were twice as heavy, they only contained half as much yardage ...... so, that means I do have enough for the scarf, but I'd knitted the wrap width.

now we're back to where this blog started, Family Day Monday. like I've already said, Wendi and her clan came by for a visit. her DD brought her knitting along too (like Mum like Daughter). she was just finishing up a very cute pair of legwarmers for her to wear to dance class. I took her down stairs for a shopping trip to "Della's Wool Emplorium", where we went thru my stash and found some more yarn that she liked for some new/future projects. while we were "shopping", Wendi and her DS were VERY PATIENTLY frogging out my Anisette Wrap (mohair is almost as horrible to frog as it is to knit with). we looked thru my mohair stash together, and found a nice replacement for the original colour, one that I have more than enough of (hopefully). so I spent the evening starting all over again, but I think the wrap is going to be lovely! will keep the original mohair handy, for the scarf version.


2 comments:

Crafty Librarian said...

Oooh, now I'm really excited!

I'm still pondering what to send you - there really is too much yarn to choose from in the world. I'm dithering between something completely gorgeous and scrumptious but highly impractical, or something delectable and delightful and useful. Hopefully some surfing over the next couple of days will solve my dilemma. Will let you know when it hits the post office.

I've just finished a wrap in kidsilk haze for a wedding in a couple of weeks (Wisp from Knitty.com - I'll post it on my blog when it is warm enough to take photos outside - perhaps april?!). it did make me angry - I switched needles several times to find the right ones (Denise interchangeables apparently) and I very much agree about frogging mohair - I ended up just living with my mistakes as I kept scaring the cats with my shouts of annoyance. Sigh.

The Annisette looks gorgeous though. Good luck!

E said...

I love when a new LYS opens. It's like being a kid in a candy store!