Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Urge to "drop-kick"

I did get some knitting done last night while watching TV. the new "Knight Rider" was on, not bad for a re-make. it made for an interesting backdrop while working on the Anisette Wrap. I was able to finish 2 pattern repeats before getting to bed at a decent time (for a change)




this is DD's new cat, and my knitting "assistant" BK .... she never seems to be too far away when I have my knitting out. you can see her here, "supervising" while I pin the wrap down to take it's picture. I have to say, the wrap is lovely, but I'm quite disappointed in how the pictures are turning out. they don't do it justice because of how fuzzy the mohair is. maybe next time, I'll try to stretch it more when I pin it out


today is absolutely beautiful out. cold, but the sun is shining and the sky is blue. have some soup simmering in the crockpot, and spent time out with the dogs. we were all in the backyard for a while, so I could gather up some "poop-cicles". then they put their collars & leashes on, and we headed to the park for a good run around. sounds like the perfect day, right ??!!

NOT !!!

well, it was until I decided to fulfill my promise to Jen and see if I could get the knitting machine that I purchased last August up and running. I've tried to cast on, which seems to work, but after the first couple of rows everything seems to jump off. I got out the manual again, dusted it off, and tried to follow the cast-on instructions (and they sound SO easy). same thing happens during both attempts. I found a lady who has some videos on YOUTUBE, and she shows a cast on. so, I head downstairs to give her method a try ... after de-fuzzing the machine, I tried again .... only to this time bend one of the needles. ok, so not I'm really not impressed (hence the urge to drop-kick the machine out the back door !) I suspect that it needs a good cleaning, as I remember when I picked it up the woman saying that it has been sitting for about 5 years or so because her arthritis got too bad to be able to use it ... to make things worse, it's been sitting in my family room since I brought it home and set it up. unfortunately, the operation manual that I got with it says nothing about maintenance except brush out the fuzzies, with a VERY week brush (included). so, off to the internet I go for research. I remove the "sponge bar" and discover that the sponge part is rather compressed in the middle .... my next quest will be to find where I can get a new one, have someone explain an easier way to get the latch hooks out (there has to be a better way than the method I used to take out the bent one), and get the machine cleaned up & oiled and ready to go.

I bought the knitting machine with the thought that it was a good idea, and would expand my knitting ability ..... but right now I'm just trying to figure out "what the heck was I thinking" ??!!

2 comments:

cari said...

There is a wonderful woman on the mountain in Hamilton who runs a knitting machine business out of her home. (By appointment only) She is a great resource for machine knitters. Check out her website at http://www.cardiknits.com/
She sells the replacement sponge bars and spare needles, etc.. and also offers a complete cleaning service. She also runs workshops.
Don't give up! You just have to connect with the right people to learn how to machine knit, and you'll have a very rewarding hobby!
Best wishes, /Cari

Anonymous said...

I love your cat ... she's gorgeous!

Don't despair with the knitting machine ... I've had a few moments with mine where it nearly ended up in the bin. Which model do you have? I have a very good book on machine maintenance, I'm sure I can dig out some tips specific to your machine.