Wednesday, April 2, 2008

To Block, Or Not To Block



ok .... so I'm blocking ..... this is the Anissette Wrap (sorry the pic is blurrey for some reason). I'm very pleased with how it has turned out, even if I haven't been able to take a picture that does it justice. I dont see colours well, but this mohair is a lovely shade of dark blue, with almost a metalic twinkle. the Lions Foundation of Canada DogGuide Open House & Silent Auction is Saturday, so if all blocks well, I should be able to drop this off Friday for them to add to the silent auction.

it was a hard decision what to do with this project ... my original intent was to send it to one of my Pay It Forward recipients, but my heart goes to the charity and I'm really hoping that my wrap will help bring in some well needed funds to the program. the cost of raising and putting a DogGuide out to work is between $20,000-$25,000. the foundation doesnt get any goverment funding, all money is raised thru private donations .... and then they turn around a give the trained working dog to the client at no cost to them. I'm honoured to call a few people with working dogs my friends, and when you see how these dogs enhance their lives, the choice is easy. between DD and myself, we're on our 6th foster puppy.


  1. Hasia, a black lab, was in training for SSD (Special Skills Dog) but then transferred to the Breeding Program. in May 2006 she welped 10 of the cutest puppies you've ever seen, all of who went into training. we've had 1 pass away, 2 graduate in the SSD program, and 3 disqualify (but one has been adopted by a Senior's Home, and is "working" in her own way). after retiring from the Breeding Program, Hasia went in to train for the CVC (Canine Vision Program), but at 3 years old decided that she'd rather come home so that's what she did, and we're happy to have our "forever" puppy.

  2. Neung, a Thai Ridgeback, was one of a test group for the foundation to see how the breed would work out ..... let's just say they didnt, and leave it at that. Neung is now living with a wonderful couple in Toronto, and is enjoying being spoiled by them

  3. Betty, a black lab was recalled and went into CVC training. ironcially, it was her class that Hasia joined. training was going splendedly, but unfortunately, as happens with some dogs, she stressed out from being in kennel, a month away from possible partnership and graduation. Betty was DD's favourite, so needless to say, she's been adopted by DD and now we have two "forever puppies"

  4. Fawn, a chocolate mini poodle, was DD's first foster puppy on her own. she was recalled into the HED (Hearing Ear Dog) program, and graduated in December. Fawn is now living in Montreal with her partner, and we hear that they are doing great.

  5. Maisie, a chocolate standard poodle, was recalled in October of last year. coincidently enough she has the same birthday as Betty, and they are the only 2 dogs we've had home for their 1st birthday. Maisie is currently in HED training, and I've got my fingers crossed for her (I want one of MY puppies to graduate !!!)

  6. Emmett is an apricot standard poodle .... he's a HUGE 10-months old, and DD's 2nd foster puppy. he's also, the clown of the group. we dont know when he'll be recalled, or what program he'll be training in, but we have our fingers crossed that he'll do well.

so .... if you're one of my PIF people, and were hoping for this wrap ... I hope you'll understand why I've decided to donate it instead. I think you can see why I have a passion for this charity.

1 comment:

The Knitted Squirrel said...

Your wrap looks lovely! Good Luck with the Silent Auction, I hope it brings in alot of money for the Foundation.