Thursday, April 10, 2008

WE HAVE SOCK !!!

my goal was to knit a sock. I found (what seemed to be) a wonderfly simple pattern Single-Bed Machine Knit Socks by Ruth Rogers. last night after we finished butchering the puppy coat of DD's foster puppy Emmett, and they went off to her dad's place .... and after I had a nice wee nap ... the mutts and I headed down stairs for an attempt at knitting a sock.


it was shortly after 8:00, and after 2 or 3 attempts at knitting on the ravel cord (without running out of cord and losing half of my scrap-yarn cast-on), and trying to figure/remember how to set the machine not to knit the stitches in HP ... I was on a roll !!! the heel/toe decreases were easy (I remembered them from my lesson with Pat) but I had trouble remembering how to do the increases .... I don't know if they are right, but I eventually got it.




the good news ..... about 10:10, I was heading back upstairs with what closely resembled a sock ... or at least what was going to be a sock. I was thrill to bits .... not only did I do it, but even with the re-dos, dropped stitches, corrections, and the odd exclamation of WTF ... it still only took me 2 hours !!!



OK well, with good news there is always bad news .... I learned a lot last night.

  1. the sock is a wee bit small for me, but would probably fit DD
  2. there's a hole on the outside heel, from a dropped stitch .... oh well, this was practice
  3. my grafting (kitchener stitching) SUCKS !!!!! and it's not even like "oh well, I'll get better with practice ... because I don't want to .... I hated that part
  4. HOWEVER ... what I hated even more than grafting ..... sewing/joining the inside seam .... I'd rather go to the dentist, or be hit on the back of the head with a plank !!! so, needless to say, it didn't get done !!!

so, here's the long & short of my single-bed machine knitting sock ..... it took me 2 hours to perform the actually "knitting" (including set-up, mistakes, re-trys, etc) ..... it took me from about 10:15 until I FINALLY tossed it aside @ 1:00am and went to bed to get the daft thing half sewed together !!!

and today's lesson boys & girls ..... I'd better figure out how to knit socks on my knitting machine in the round, or I'll never end up with a pair that's wearable !!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whahey!!!! I'm impressed! I hated seaming my first couple of socks but then found a great tutorial
here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQN7SbnBqvo
and here

http://www.knittinganyway.com/socks/socksflatseams.htm

and now I'm over my phobia.

Happy knitting, Jen

punkin said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I was just looking at beads again yesterday, so your comment was very timely. Congratulations on the sock! The wrap you knit is gorgeous.