Thursday, October 18, 2007

Breast Cancer Slipper-Booties


well this is my first "knitting-related" posting ... and after all, that's what this blog is SUPPOSED to be mostly about.

my friend and neighbour was struck with some bad news a couple of months ago. she went in for a check-up, and a lump was discovered. then the biopsy, and finally the mastectomy. unfortunately, her husband is also going thru some medical issues, so the timing is just brutal. fortunately they have a great care system from their children, and my friend is a very strong & independant woman ... who I know will come thru this just fine.

a couple of years ago, one of my best friends when breast cancer as well. thru her, I learned about the non-medical difficulties that one goes thru when they have cancer .... the loss of hair, and about all the hours sitting around the hospital when you are going thru your tests & treatments. because of her, I started donating up-to-date magazines to the Credit Valley Cancer Centre, participating in runs to support the hospital itself & Cancer Support Services. I also started knitting for my friend. I knit chemo caps, slippers, shawl & lap blankets ... oh and a "falsie".

so, back to this posting, now that you have the history ..... with my friend & neighbour just recently beginning her survival journey, I thought a pair of nice "pink ribbon socks" would be great to knit for her. they turned out lovely, but because I used baby weight yarn and not "sock yarn" they turned out to be more of a slipper/bootie and thicker than a regular sock. I tried them on and they are great. originally the plan was to have a sock with 3 pink ribbons going up the leg, but as they ended up bootie-like, I stopped at just the one.

take a look ... I'm quite pleased with the results. I dropped them off on Friday evening with a jar of home-made organic vegetable & bean soup (and my prayers and good wishes)

No comments: