Tuesday, October 13, 2009

October ~ Breast Cancer Awarness & Knitting

I cant believe October is almost half over already .... where has the time gone ??!!





we ended August in our favourite way .... spending a week at a rental cottage just outside Algonquin Park. it's a great way to relax, get some reading & knitting done, play some boardgames, and go hiking with the dogs.

September was a huge month for DD and myself ..... Labour Day her Dad and I moved DD into her dorm room. the day turned out really well, the move went smoothly, we spent the day putting things together, then out for her first grocery shop and a nice lunch. the house is going to be quiet with her gone, but I'm very proud of her and going to enjoy watching this next phase of her life unfold.

Tuesday September 8 ..... first day of college for DD, and first day of my new job. dont know which one of us was more nervous, but we both survived, and seem to be settling in just fine.

just when I thought I was getting used to my "empty nest" ..... I end up with a houseful. Wendi and her hubby go off to the great (not so) white north on a hunting trip, and I acquire 2 teenagers and another dog while they are away. the kids are more than old enough to look after themselves, and pretty much did their own thing, but boy did I enjoy having them around for that week!!! I think I found the house harder to adjust to after then left, then when DD went off to college.

I have some earings that you can get from SKWD Creations and wanted to point out their breast cancer pink-ribbon items ..... if you're looking for any Breast Cancer Pink Ribbon items go check them out. they also have a great selection of earings, shawl pins, stitch markers, and a few necklaces & cellphone charms.


Knitting Update .... this is going to be big, as it's been ages since I blogged



Scotch Thistle Lace Stole ~ a lovely lace stole that I knitted last year, but only recently got around to blocking. the good news is, it turned out lovely .... the bad news is, I must have dropped a stitch back in the beginning, so as I blocked it a hole started to emerge. it turns out that it was a wee bit small for my liking, and with the un-fixable hole, i decided to frog it out and re-use the yarn


Blender Socks for DD ~ well the blender socks that I did for me turned out so well, I decided to give it a try for my DD (who wanted to scoop mine). I used some left over yarn that I had done a previous pair of socks for her, and put solid (kettle dyed) black toes and cuffs on them (I would have done a black heel too, but didnt think I'd have enough yarn)


Los Monos Locos ~ these socks were for me!! a "crazy" version of the famous "monkey sock", with a toe-up reverse heel flap that I wanted to try. love the socks, love the yarn, not impressed with this style of heel


Hug Me Boucle Shawl ~ I got some acrylique boucle from a yarn swap. the colour is lovely, but not really a type of yarn that I really knew what to do with .... thank goodness for Ravelry and their wonderful pattern search. entered some critera, and up pops up some suggestions ..... I ended up making this really awesome shawl. I'm so pleased with how it turned out, the colours are just lovely, and it really works with the type of yarn. with it being made of acrylique, it will be really easy to look after. I'm not a shawl person, and the ones I like are much bigger than this, so it will be gifted to someone (or a charity organization) that I think will get some use of it


Bored, and dont know what to knit .... get out the dish cloth cotton and whip up a dishcloth using a basic no-thought required pattern. and to match the dishcloth, how about a crochet market bag. everyone is so concerned about plastic bags, and them ending up in the dump, here's a great alternative ... they are strong, expandable, can be thrown in the washing machine, and are kind of cute.

Cropped Raglan Sweater ~ while away at the cottage I wanted an easy knit, but something practical. this is an easy raglan (neck down) sweater, that was brainless to knit ..... just to add some character (and because I dont do anything the way it was written) I added a "lace" pattern down the front, and made to hang just below the waist band of my jeans. I love how the sweater turned out, but I think it's a wee bit large .... so guess that means that I'll get to knit it again for next year !!

Sketchy Shawl KAL ~ well the girls all got together and decided they wanted to do a shawl KAL. I dont think any of us did the same shawl pattern, but we all had our "ceremonial cast on" together at our meeting. I had a hard time choosing what pattern to work on because I'm not a "lacy shawl type of person", and I wanted one that would actually wrap around me ... I found Wild Flower Shawl. it was just what I was looking for, and I thought it would be perfect with the lace weight yarn that I had already decided I want to use (no matter what pattern I found). both the yarn and shawl are on the casual side, and I joined the group and cast on ..... by the end of the night, I was NOT impressed. although the pattern was nice, you couldnt see all the work I was doing because it was too loose .... so frogged out, and down I go in needle size, and then again frogged and down another needle size. at this point, I've decided I not only hate lace weight, but all shawls. fortunately Wendi suggests some lovely yarn that we both have, and knowing that I wouldnt have enough for the shawl, she offers me the remainder of her skein (aren't friends great !!). the shawl turned out lovely, and as worried as I was about then knitting on the edging, it turns out there was nothing to worry about, and the edging really makes the shawl .... and now that it's finally blocked, I love it even more !!!

1 comment:

Karen said...

No photo of your Cropped Raglan Sweater? I love to knit top down sweaters. Have you ever thought of trying February Lady? We did a knit along at our knitting guild and they all turned out great. I'm using that "pattern" to do a straight garter stitch version for my daughter for Christmas.